Saturday, July 16, 2011

Everyday Adventures

There has been so much going on in and around our little family lately.  I have felt the need to sloooow down, take a minute and just stop.  I am particularly aware of how fast time seems to be flying by in terms of how quickly my daughter, Grace, is growing up.  I know, I know - every parent says that.  But it is so true...the older Gracie gets, the faster life seems to tick away.
Miss Grace.  (Fall 2010)**
My Butter Bean is six years old - and she has just finished kindergarten.  I guess it is the milestone of the whole kindergarten experience that solidified the fact that she is no longer my baby.  It's as if it suddenly dawned on me…my girl is growing up.  As a parent, clearly this is par for the course; you’d expect that I might be used to that fact by now.  But, somehow the surprise doesn't wear-off.


That being said, I realize the importance of making an intentional effort to treasure every second with Grace and revel in even the minor details of our days.  For instance, when sending her to brush her teeth before bedtime, I'm prone to shouting orders like, "Move quicker, please!" and "Don't dawdle."  So instead, I have taken to sitting on the steps outside the bathroom door...and I keep my mouth shut and just watch.  I watch as she takes nearly two minutes to apply toothpaste to her toothbrush, as she admires her latest wiggly tooth in the mirror, and as she chit-chats with me about which stuffed animal she wants to sleep with that night.  Not only does this little exercise allow me to savor precious time with my little girl, but it has allowed me to get to know her better, to appreciate how she is growing up and to reflect on all the adventures - as we call them - that the two of us have had.  (Yea.  All that from watching my daughter clean her teeth!)


Spending the summer at the pool: the ultimate Mitchell Family past time.
This is after one of Grace's first swim meets. 



A mouth full of soft pretzel.  Lovely. :) 

I look at my sweet girl and wonder how the Lord ever decided to see fit to give her to me.  She is an amazing little kid.  She has an intensity about her that can rival everything else.  Heaven knows where she got so dramatic…?  (If you know me, you can appreciate the sarcasm there.)  And yet, she has a tenderness that melts my heart.  I am insanely proud of her.  It is such a privilege to get to be her mom.


The other day, during one of these intentional moments to slow life down, I was in the middle of applying sun block to Grace's face, shoulders, back and arms. If you have children (particularly, sassy 6-year-olds) you can appreciate how frustrating applying Coppertone can actually be!  But, like I said, I was determined to make every moment count.  So, while fighting with her wiggly little body I did my best to keep a smile on my face and decided to spark a conversation.
Me:  "So, tell me, what's been the best part of your day, Gracie?"
G:  "Ummm," she scratches her head with an exaggerated expression, "Oh, that's easy! But, I want you to guess!"
Me:  "Hmmm.  Seeing your new cousin?"
G:  "Nope!  ...Even though it was fun!"
Me:  "Getting an ice cream cone?"
G:  Totally annoyed, "Mom," sigh, "Yea, of course that was good.  But, it was not my best part."
Me:  "Oh.  I see...  Well, lemme think..."
Grace's back is to me at this point - as I am 'thinking' she turns to face me, then she throws her arms around my neck and kisses my cheek.
G:  "It's YOU!  You are always the best part of my day."
Me:  "I am, really?!  Oh, thank you, Bubby!"  
I started to go on about how she is the best part of my day as well.  I was so taken with her sincerity, her sweet little face.  It totally made my day.  Then
G:  "Ooops!  I forgot one thing, Mom.  I hope I do not hurt your feelings, but... Ellyot (our dog) was more better than you today.  Is that okay?"


I started laughing so hard!  I laughed at her sweet little words, that Coppertone smeared little face, her scrunched up little nose indicating how she didn't want to hurt my feelings, the honesty in her sweet little answer...I smothered her in kisses and told her how much I loved her!  She giggled with me, flashed me her adorable toothless grin, grabbed her goggles and ran off to jump in the pool. But, right before she jumped in, she turned around, gave me a thumbs up and mouthed the words, "I love you!"


Grace slipped her hand in mine as we left the pool that afternoon and said, "This was a fun day, wasn't it Mom?"  Bless her heart, she didn't even know the half of it.  ...While watching my daughter play in the water, I quietly prayed.  I thanked the Lord for giving us the past six years.  I prayed for her future, for her growing mind and body as she heads into first grade, for the friends she'll make, for the teacher she'll have.  I prayed that the Lord would give me wisdom and discernment to raise her to know Him more.  I prayed for patience and consistency to discipline her appropriately (I've got a firecracker on my hands!).  And lastly, I prayed that I would continue to rest in the joy of the everyday adventures that we share.  ...As we walked to the car, I squeezed her hand and told her, "This was my best day - ever."



(**The beautiful photo of Grace featured at the top of the entry was taken by a fellow nursing student and a sweet friend.  You can see her work here:  Suzanne Michelle)

4 comments:

  1. okay... crying. not even joking. i try to do the same thing with bel... just sit and watch and take everything in. somedays, god's grace allows me to do this... other days, i fall completely short due to my own impatience or frustrations. you are such an amazing mama, jenna. and i can tell how MUCH you love your sweet girl (who is so beautiful). love watching you on this journey... it suits you SO well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I just saw this post. Jenna, this made me cry!!!! This IS SO SWEET! I hope you save this and let Grace read it someday. :) THanks for sharing, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan and Jamie -

    First off, Megan...I JUST saw your comment (don't know how I missed it??) when I got the notice about Jamie's post. Sorry for the delay in responding, as a response is very necessary because your comment was SO encouraging! The same goes to you, Jamie! Ha ha - I even saw your pin on Pinterest! :)

    It's fun being a Mommy, isn't it? There is nothing more rewarding, challenging, difficult or FUN. I'm thankful for other Christian moms to swap stories with and to share the burdens with - even if it is on the computer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following us on merrellgirls! Your little girl is so cute!

    ReplyDelete