Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Good and Perfect Gift

Recently, my pastor started teaching from the Book of James.  After the first couple of messages, I’m certain that the Lord had him write those sermons just for me.  It is so obvious that God wants me to “get” what He is throwing at me…I’m hearing it everywhere lately…and not just at church, but in conversations with my family, on the radio and in my own Bible study.  (I LOVE it when God does that.)  The message that really hit a chord with me was taken from James 1:16-18.  It says:

“Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers.  Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.  He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.”

Without rambling too much, I’ll try to condense what my pastor said.  He started by asking the question, “Do we expect goodness and favor because we know God?”  Immediately, I knew what he was getting at.  Following Jesus does not come with the expectation that life will be comfortable or predictable.  It simply does not work that way.  Anticipating that God will wipe away every trial and hardship because of a personal relationship with the Lord is a false understanding of the reality of His goodness.  My pastor said it this way: “God’s goodness and the trials we face are not mutually exclusive.  Rather, the good things 'coming down' are present in the midst of those trials.”

Now, this isn’t anything new to me.  Having been a Christian for years, I’ve heard these truths since I was a little girl.  What’s more, they are truths that I really believe.  As a matter of fact – if you know me well – you may have heard me talk about this topic a lot.  Buuuuut, sitting in that pew a couple Sunday’s ago, it was like I was smacked upside the head with the realization that lately I have been buying into the very deception that James is warning us about.  I have been expecting God to fix things for me just because I’m His.  What’s more – I realized that I have been trying to bargain with God.  Expecting Him to give me what I want pending I get my act together.  With tears burning my eyes I bowed my head in the middle of the service and asked God for forgiveness.  Who am I to think that I can subdue God's will for me, or that I can tame God with my good behavior?  In keeping with the title of this blog – even if I had the capacity to live a perfect life, predictable and comfortable favor isn’t promised this side of eternity.

But, James goes on to describe the good and perfect gift that is promised this side of eternity.  Earlier in the same chapter, James says to consider it pure joy when you face trials and temptations…and if anyone lacks wisdom, he should ask for it.  When we ask for it, God will give us His continual, good and perfect gift of wisdom during our trials.  God doesn’t promise us a life without struggle, but rather, He promises that we will have Him during those struggles.  And even better – God promises the gift of His Son.  God chose to give us birth through Him.  HE brings forth life!  James 1:12 &18 says:

"(12) Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.  … (18b) that we may be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.”

I love that!  Not only are we saved from our sin, but we are God’s firstfruits.  This means He values us and sets us apart as the best part of His creation.  I don’t know about you – but that right there is enough to diminish the weight of my trials and temptations.  If God calls me the firstfruit of His creation, then I can have the confidence to trust that He knows exactly where I am and He knows exactly what I need.

Thanking the Lord for a much needed reminder of how He works in our lives…for forgiving my selfish ambition…and for answering my request for wisdom - His good and perfect gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment